Today we’ll discuss about ‘oily scalp hair loss and why does oily hair fall out and what you can do about the problem’. An unkempt head is considered a serious defect in appearance. Therefore, the increased oiliness of the scalp is an extremely unpleasant phenomenon. Oily roots not only look messy, but can also lead to severe hair loss. We offer solutions to this problem.
Why Do You Need Sebum?
Sebum is a sebum secreted by the sebaceous glands. It contains:
- fatty acid;
- squalene, etc.
This fat is necessary for both skin and hair for beauty and healthy functioning:
- protects the skin and strands from drying out and brittleness;
- creates a favorable environment for beneficial bacteria;
- maintains a healthy acid-base balance;
- forms a barrier preventing the penetration of pathogens into the skin;
- has the properties of a chemical sunscreen filter;
- works as an antioxidant, fighting aging factors.
The sebaceous glands are located in the scalp in close proximity to the hair follicles. They increase sebum synthesis as needed to provide adequate protection for skin and hair. However, the increased production of sebum leads to negative consequences, including hair loss.
All our sebaceous glands secrete up to 300 g of sebum per week. This is how they work all their lives, however, during periods of hormone surges (for example, during puberty, pregnancy, menopause, etc.), the production and secretion of fat secretion can significantly increase or decrease.
Reasons: Why Hair Quickly Becomes Oily?
Sebum production and secretion is a complex process that is influenced by many factors. In particular, these are:
- Genetics – in this case, not only the scalp is oily, but also the face and body; some hormonal diseases and features of hormonal metabolism can be explained by heredity;
- Hormonal Disorders – hair becomes very oily and falls out when there is an excess of androgens in the body; the sebaceous glands respond to the release of these hormones with increased activity;
- Gender – as it is already clear, in men, sebum production is increased, in women, thanks to estrogens, it is slightly reduced;
- Age – the least active sebaceous glands work in children and the elderly; in adolescence, the peak of sebo-genesis activity occurs;
- The State of the Central and Autonomic Nervous System – the secretion of sebum is disturbed under the influence of adrenaline and cortisol, indispensable companions of stress, nervous and mental disorders;
- Diseases of the Gastrointestinal Tract, Gynecological, Skin, Internal Organs – the sebaceous glands intensively produce fat, if inflammation develops in the body, indicating a problem;
- Poor Care – all manipulations that irritate the scalp cause excessive release of fat: frequent washing, washing with hot water, drying with a hairdryer, tight hairstyles , etc.
- Excess Cosmetics, when too much shampoo, conditioner is applied to the curls at a time , balm, and then they are poorly washed, which irritates the sebaceous glands;
- Improper Use of Balms and Masks – they must be applied exclusively to the length of the hair, and not to the roots, otherwise they will form a film on the skin, which will provoke sebo-genesis;
- Wearing Loose Hair, Frequent Touching Them with Hands – all this stimulates the active work of the sebaceous glands;
- A Radical Change in Hair Color, for example, lightening – the scalp loses its lipid barrier and moisture, and the production of sebum rises sharply to cover the loss;
- Improperly Selected Cosmetics is also an irritant that provokes increased secretion of the sebaceous glands;
- Unhealthy Diet, All the Same – diets (cause a lack of nutrients, which also provokes hormonal imbalance and increased greasiness) or the use of sweet, fatty, fried, smoked, peppery foods (which additionally stimulates the work of the skin glands);
- Taking Medication – the production of sebum increases when toxic substances enter the body; curls will react to any imbalance caused by foreign chemical agents;
- Season – heat in summer, wearing hats in a warm room in winter increases sebum secretion.
If we are talking about heredity, then it will not be possible to permanently remove the oily content of the scalp. But it is quite possible to establish the process of sebum secretion with the help of proper nutrition and hair care.
Oily Scalp Hair Loss: Why Does Oily Hair Fall Out More?
The increased greasiness of the curls can itself provoke hair loss, or it can be a symptom of conditions that cause thinning of the hair.
- Hormonal disorders, especially with a predominance of androgens in the body, can cause not only hair loss, but even the development of baldness. Increased fat content in this case is a signal for immediate medical attention.
- No less dangerous for the organism as a whole, and to the state of curl in particular deficiency conditions, as a result of illness or diet in the body develops a lack of iodine, selenium, iron , and so on. N. Curls become fat, and the quality of life will invariably deteriorate without adequate treatment.
- When the sebaceous glands are overactive, significantly more sebum is produced than is necessary for the skin and hair. The fat builds up on the scalp, penetrates into the hair follicle, thickens, clogs it. The hardened sebum presses on the bulb and disrupts its nutrition. This shortens the life of hair, disrupts its normal growth, and develops hair loss.
- Excess sebum is a breeding ground for bacteria and fungi. They are part of our normal microflora, but with hypersecretion of sebum, the pH of the skin changes, and microorganisms begin to multiply actively. This can lead to the development of skin diseases that disrupt the functioning of the hair follicles and hairs will begin to fall out.
The body is saved from regular damage and over-drying of the strands by the emergency production of a large amount of sebum. Such sebum differs in composition from normal. It is much thicker, contains fewer anti-inflammatory components, which leads to blockage of hair follicles. This is why the hair becomes greasy at the roots and falls out intensively.
How to Help Curls?
What to do if hair is oily and falling out? Simple rules for personal care and modern cosmetics will help to correct the situation.
The Doctor’s Consultation
For any hair problem it is worth seeking medical advice. Curls are a litmus test showing the general condition of the body. Is there something wrong with your hair? This means that there is a significant malfunction in the body.
The following can help identify the source of the problem:
In addition, after collecting anamnesis, the doctor will advise you to visit narrow specialists – an endocrinologist, gynecologist, gastroenterologist, neuropathologist, etc.
To begin with, the doctor will talk with the patient, find out what events have happened in his life over the past six months. This period was not taken by chance – the curls react to stress or illness after a few months, when the person himself has already forgotten what happened to him. Why does hair have such a delayed reaction? Because the damaging factor will affect only those hairs that will form and germinate under its influence, and the creation of a new hair lasts 3-4 months.
After the conversation, an examination is carried out, the mandatory delivery of blood tests (general, biochemistry, for hormones, for trace elements, etc.)). A trichologist examines the frequency and nature of hair growth using trichoscopy. And only on the basis of the data of a comprehensive examination, a conclusion will be made about the methods of treating increased fat content of the scalp and curls.
How is Sebum Hypersecretion Treated?
- External remedies are often prescribed – medicinal ointments, lotions, balms, etc., which contain zinc, sulfur, tar.
- If necessary, prescribe hormonal drugs to help restore the balance of hormones in the body.
- Use antihistamines, corticosteroids to relieve itching and irritation of the scalp.
- And, finally, vitamin complexes can eliminate the deficiency of certain vital substances in the body.
Hair treatment and restoration is not a quick matter. However, you should not avoid doctors because of this and independently prescribe certain drugs for yourself, especially hormone-containing ones. This can seriously harm your health.
Brittle hair, which quickly becomes greasy and falls out, improves its condition after physiotherapy procedures (laser, D’arsonval, electrophoresis, etc.). However, it is impossible to resort to the help of such methods without consulting a doctor. The effects of physical therapy are not limited to the skin: for example, if the curls are thinning due to thyroid abnormalities, exposure to currents can exacerbate the problem.
If you want to regulate the work of the sebaceous glands, you should have patience and will. Not only because long-term treatment may be needed, but also because it will be necessary to change your habits: both in hair care and in nutrition.
- It is necessary to establish a drinking regime. You should drink enough fluids per day: about 40 ml for each kilogram of your weight. Water will make the sebum less viscous, remove toxic substances from the body, and establish metabolic processes in the follicle – thereby the oiliness of the scalp and hair will begin to decrease.
- It is strictly forbidden to go on diets. Adherents of dietary restrictions, vegetarians, vegans are always at risk of developing alopecia. Without dieting, this does not mean overeating. In order for kerato- and sebo-genesis to proceed without disturbances, nutrition must be varied and correct.
- If the scalp is very oily and hair is falling out, what to do? Remember the products from the “black list”: you cannot eat sweets, pastries, dishes with spices, salty, fatty, fried, smoked, alcohol, soda, coffee.
- The basis of a healthy menu is vegetables (fresh, baked, stewed, fermented), fruits, herbs, boiled or baked meat, fish, poultry, foods with a high concentration of nutrients (chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, seaweed, spinach, cranberries, blueberries, etc. etc.).
- Do you want normal fat strands? Make sure that the diet contains foods rich in vitamins A, B, C and E. They improve skin immunity, improve the work of the sebaceous glands. Eat carrots, persimmons, liver, sour fruits, and be sure to have enough chlorophyll-rich foods ( i.e. green) – they help these vitamins to be absorbed qualitatively.
Deciding to deal with the fat content of the strands, some women exclude fats from the diet. This is wrong: they are responsible for the synthesis of most hormones and their balance in the body; membranes of all cells, including hair, consist of fats; full assimilation of vitamins and nutrients is impossible without fats. Therefore, give up harmful (products fried in vegetable oil, sweets), and eat healthy ones (fatty fish, nuts, natural yoghurts) in moderation, but regularly.
You may also like to read: Hair Highlighting – The Most Fashionable Dyeing Trends of 2020
You need to take care of oily scalp at home carefully and carefully so as not to complicate the situation with erroneous actions.
- The main question, when the hair has become oily, falls out and looks like icicles – how often to wash it? Washing every day doing curls fresh, but it leads to overstimulation of the sebaceous glands, due to which the head gets dirty faster. What to do? Give yourself time to reset your routine. Start washing your hair every other day, gradually increasing the no-wash interval to 2-3 days.
- Get in the habit of washing your strands in the morning. The sebaceous glands work especially intensively at night. If you also stimulate them by washing before going to bed, the activity will increase significantly, so there is a risk of waking up again with a dirty head.
- Wash curls with warm water, rinse as cold as possible – as much as you can tolerate.
- Apply shampoo to scalp and dilute thoroughly with gentle massage movements. Do not rub or scratch your skin. The head is washed twice with shampoo: for the first time, dirt and grease will swell, soak, for the second time they will be removed from the hair.
- Do not take a lot of shampoo, balm: for one procedure of washing long hair, a teaspoon of shampoo and three peas of balm or conditioner are enough.
- Rinse off detergents from hair 5 times longer than lathering lasted.
- Dry your curls naturally. In rare cases, use a hair dryer with a diffuser and a low temperature.
- Brush your curls only twice a day. To avoid touching them with your hands, tuck the strands into loose, everyday hairstyles.
The procedure for washing your hair can be finished with herbal rinses: brew sage, mint, birch, wormwood, burdock, calendula. Broths soothe, disinfect, increase the protective functions of the scalp. Light-haired people need to be neat: herbs can give the strands a peculiar shade.
You may also like to read: Professional Hair Care Tips for Girls & Some Interesting Hair Growth Facts
Means to Help Remove Fat
Oily hair care includes a complex of cosmetics:
- Shampoo with anti-inflammatory and sebum-regulating action.
- About once a week, owners of oily hair need to apply a deep cleansing shampoo, the so-called detox.
- You also need a soft scrub or peeling to thoroughly cleanse the skin from the sebum crust and dead cells: this sticky mass prevents the dermis from breathing and performing its protective functions.
- For the length, there are light express conditioners, gels that will not weigh down the curls, but make them smooth, shiny, and provide protection from environmental factors.
- 1-2 times a week, use masks with the appropriate mark: they will regulate the work of the sebaceous glands and eliminate excess sebum. The composition of such products contains zinc, clay, menthol, plant extracts, moisturizing ingredients that adjust sebo-genesis, caring for hair and scalp.
If you have oily hair, avoid silicones, proteins, and lecithin in your cosmetics. Such products can aggravate the situation by weighing down the hair and making it even more oily.
Take care of yourself and your curls will be healthy, fresh and beautiful.